Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Three Cups of Tea Projects

Three Cups of Tea became a very popular book, when Greg Mortenson wrote and had it published in 2006. There are two other variations of the book for younger readers, published in 2007 and 2008. Their impressions could have varied due to nationality, geographic and ethnic back rounds as well as their prior education on the cultures and lifestyles of those in Pakistan and Afghanistan. All of those that have read this book, or those that want to read this book will take from it what they will, and maybe be inspired. It is obvious that there are many lessons to be learned, and after I worked through the first 100 pages, with doubt in my mind that this book would be worth the time I had put into reading it. However it was not long after I hit the 120 page mark that it got interesting, but new information has been discovered. Although Mortenson has inspired thousands, including myself, he is now being sued for having faulty accusations included in the book. I wouldn't say that I lost inspiration, I would say that I lost hope and respect, like many others. All those that had read this book have had some sort of a negative impact since Mortensen had been accused and admitted to the many lies contained in this novel. Knowing now that the contents of that book were not all totally true, there are things that make me mad and frustrated. Then I think of all the people Greg Mortenson inspired to stand up for humanity, what you believe in and the education for the younger generation, I guess I realized it was worth it, and everything you have to overcome to be successful.
Thank you for being the inspiration that we all needed, just not the truth we hoped for.

                    Annotated Bibliography: Three Cups of Tea

Mortenson, Greg, and David Relin. Three Cups of Tea. Vol. 1. New York: Penguin, 2006. 1-368. 1 vols. Print

Throughout this novel, there were many lessons that can be taught, but you will take
from it what you will, as I did. Greg Mortenson, a climber of the mountain K2, chased his climbing dreams though the beginning part of the book, and began his life with his wife Tara. He simply worked hard for what he wanted and clearly obstacles like building a bridge didn’t stop him. I feel that the message that was trying to be portrayed is that we need to plan for the future and be appreciative of what we have and what we all need to happen for the future to be successful. I learned that whether the information enclosed in the book are true or false, real or fake, exaggerated or not, people like me were inspired. It might have just been that I didn’t contribute to the building of the actual schools that didn’t make me upset, but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t parts about the fraud that didn’t disappoint me.

Understand my role as a global citizen

The average distance from Pakistan/Afghanistan to Canada is 10,197.15km. So clearly they do not have anything directly physical to us.


It wasn't until I got about half way through the book that I realized that Greg Mortenson was a very determined man, and it wasn't until I saw that he had a dream and wouldn't stop until it had came true. It was a very simple concept; build schools in places where they are needed most. It is made very clear that we are in need of more people like Greg Mortenson. People like him are people who go at challenges knowing the obstacles, knowing the effort that it is going to take and most importantly, not knowing the outcome. I realized that directly or indirectly, there are things that are going to affect the world as we know it. Whether it is the next generation, current education, poverty in my community or country; or across the world, healthy relationships with those around you, and the future relationships that you are going to make with others. Greg Mortenson made it very clear that changing the world one school at a time, one village at a time, is not something that happens over night. It take patience. Although I had the patience to read the book, I realized that that was nothing like what the author had to overcome. Yes, there are false accusations in this novel, however, inspiration, knowledge and courage to do what is right in our own minds had nothing to do with the lies, and what I got from it was something that I can not lie about. Something that the nation and all those world wide can not deny.











No comments:

Post a Comment