Monday, November 29, 2010

Political Cartoons




a. Who are the characters in this cartoon? Immigrants, Boarder Guard.
b. What event is this cartoon targeting? Citizenship & Immigration of Canada
c. What is the message of this cartoon? This cartoon I feel, shows how the rest of the world sees us. For example, the guard in this cartoon is appearing to be lazy, thinking everything is happy-go-lucky with nothing to worry about, & from my point of view that is not how I see things.
d. How is humor developed? In this cartoon, I feel that understanding hyperbole is key. This literary device is used immensely to show that the guard wouldn't actually be sitting there sleeping, but that it seems they are letting more people into Canada with less restrictions.
e. Do you agree or disagree? I feel that the message of this cartoon is that many people looking to immigrate, look to Canada. This cartoon, I think, shows how some people may take advantage of the kind of nation Canada is. Yes we are willing to be the place people will take refuge, or start a new life, but the fact that so many Canadians aren't actually indigenous to Canada, they are from other parts of the world, I feel is somewhat polluting Canada's identity.




a. Who are the characters in the cartoon? A woman & a man.
b. What event is the cartoon targeting? Citizenship & Canada Immigration.
c. What is the message of this cartoon? That once Canada accepts you into their society & nation, it is a feeling of success & pleasure.
d. How is humor developed? Right from the beginning, it is sexual.
e. Do you agree or disagree? I feel that it is hard for me to have an opinion in immigration because I am not an immigrant. However, I do agree with this cartoon, Canada is an amazing country & those that get to experience it are truly lucky & pleasured.




1 comment:

  1. Very well analyzed and explained.
    10/10
    One question: without immigration, how does Canada express its multiculturalism?

    ReplyDelete